In November 2013 the European Commission’s (EC) Joint Research Centre (JRC) hosted an internal workshop on ‘Nanotechnology for the agricultural sector: from research to the field’. A JRC Science and Policy report has now been published summarising the day’s discussions.
The event aimed to ‘review the state-of-the-art of R&D of nanotechnology for the agricultural sector and to analyse possible markets and commercial pipelines of products in crop production’. Leading scientists, key stakeholders and experts were invited (including NIA representatives) ‘in order to promote the presentation of research and industry results and the discussions of experiences’.
Discussions at the workshop took place in five distinct sessions:
- Overview of nanotechnology applications with a focus on agricultural nanotechnology
- Nanotechnology research activities in the agricultural sector
- Case-studies on developing industrial applications of agricultural nanotechnology
- Developments in nanotechnology risk assessment and regulation
- Socio-economic issues of agricultural nanotechnology
Follow this link to download the full workshop report.